Interviewing Plastic Surgeons for a Mastectomy
Read this tip to make your life smarter, better, faster and wiser. LifeTips is the place to go when you need to know about Mastectomy and other Breast Procedures topics.
DocShop.com Tip: Once the patient has a short list of plastic surgeons they wish to interview the following set of questions may be useful:
- How long have you been performing mastectomies and how many procedures do you perform per year? This information is useful because it will identify which plastic surgeons have a great deal of experience performing mastectomy procedures and will also pinpoint which surgeons specialize in this type of procedure.
- Can you provide before-and-after photos of previous patients, as well as references? Knowing plastic surgeons are well-experienced with mastectomy procedures is important, but it is also important for the patient to view before-and-after photos and speak to previous patients to gauge the skill level of the surgeon.
- Are you a member of the American Society of Plastic Surgeons? This is an important question because surgeons who are a member of this society have graduated from an accredited medical school, received specific plastic surgery training, adhere to a strict code of ethics and participate in continuing education programs.
- With which hospitals do you have admitting privileges? Ideally the plastic surgeon selected will have admitting privileges at nearby hospitals in case complications arise during the procedure and the patient needs immediate medical treatment.
- What are your preferences in terms of anesthesia, incision location and other aspects of the procedure? This is important because a mastectomy patient will want to select a plastic surgeon who shares her preferences for these components of the procedure.
Nobody has commented on this tip yet. Be the first.